Entry 9: Journey to the East~ Orient Fantasy

I was at a seemingly Pan-Asian restaurant with Korean comedian Bobby Lee. We were both enjoying hot bowls of sumptous noodles and regaling each other with humorous anecdotes. As he ordered us two large bubble teas, I excused myself to the nearest facilities. Somehow I managed to get myself lost in the building. I found a door which lead to an immense dark room. A middle-aged Asian women yelled at me not to go in but never gave a reason why. Curiousity took the best of me and I walked.

As I walked further into the darkness, something in the center lit up. In the middle of the a soft white spotlight sat a young maiden in Chinese opera white and pink robe. Her face was made up in Chinese opera style - pale and white with flushes of pink around her eyes and cheeks. I looked at myself and I too was dressed in a Chinese opera and made up as a male Chinese opera singer. The girl seemed to be crying and I asked her why. As soon as she saw me, she stood up overjoyed. Apparently she was told to embark on a long journey but not before meeting a young man from another world to help her. There were demons that wanted to harm her along the way so she needed assistance and protection. Feeling quite chivalrous, I decided to go with her on her journey.

As we walked, those demons did appear and seemed to all want something from the girl, something person. One was a giant dressed as a Chinese general. He fed on people's dreams and grew more taller and stronger from them. The second was a woman, a Chinese siren who stole girls' voices so thought her own would remain sweet and melodious. The third was man dressed as a woman, in Japanese kabuki attire. He stole girl's essences and souls to remain soft and graceful. They sough out out this particular maiden as she was beyond pure and the things they sought from her would amplify their skills infinitely.

We managed to outthink and escape each demon. Finally far off in the distance was a bright light. Once we got to it, it got bigger. Without hesitation, we stepped into it. In an instance, we found ourself on a small stage in what looked like a big banquethall. He were surrounded by formally dressed Asians in groups at small round tables, all looking at us with a mix of surprise and annoyance. The demons were also there; the giant had a mike in his hand and was telling jokes in Chinese that apparently the crowd did not find funny. The other two demons were posing stylized. Once the giant saw us, he moved away for us to stand centerstage. Once we did, he audiences began applauding thunderously. As more people stood up to applaud, everyone onstage stood in a final stylized pose as confetti shaped like flower petals showered us.

Was this all an elaborate scene in a Chinese opera that I wasn't aware of? Was this part of the maiden's journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment